|table manners rhyme sourced here|
As the children get older, I have found it more important to enforce dining etiquette like;
- setting the table with both a knife and fork,
- waiting until everyone is sat before starting your meal,
- taking your time to eat and chew,
- not talking with your mouth full of food,
- saying excuse me or pardon me where necessary
- and the BIG one at the moment is staying at the table until everyone has finished, even if you are not going to eat your dinner.
Sometimes we insist he rejoins the table until we are all finished. And often he will dig in his heels and refuse. Other times we will just let it go and continue enjoying our meal together as a three, whilst the fourth member of the family plays at our feet, occasionally sneaking a carrot or pea off his plate.
So, what do you do? How do you enforce table manners and staying at the table in your family?